Lead Data Scientist
Who we are:
Ticker is an insurtech taking connected motor insurance to a much wider market, using the latest telematics technology and pricing methods. The executive team are insurtech experts, with a first-class track record in the industry.
What the role is:
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial Lead Data Scientist to help us keep building out our data analytics platform. Data is at the heart of everything we do as an insurtech, and this role will be responsible for driving that even further.
You’ll be working closely with our executive, pricing and customer teams to define our data strategy. As well as leading the data team, you’ll also be hands-on with modelling and hypothesis – an essential part of putting data at everyone’s fingertips, fast.
What you’ll be doing with your days:
- Defining the priorities of the data team to give us the maximum value from our data: improving customer experience, exploring behaviour and gaining an edge in underwriting.
- Leveraging our large datasets to identify and solve complex business problems. From telematics sensor data to real-time quote data, you’ll be building analytics systems in collaboration with our Underwriting, Pricing and Telematics teams to turn our raw data into actionable insight with low latency, providing a direct impact throughout the business.
- Modelling data using advanced statistical/mathematical models, predict and segment data to hypothesize/evolve uses cases.
- Exploring and visualising data to present the story of data in a meaningful way to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Working alongside Data Engineers to ensure our data pipelines support the delivery of timely data analysis.
- Adopting a range of tools to help you get the job done, across both our AWS and Azure data platforms. We’ll use managed cloud platforms to enable you to focus on the data science, not the infrastructure to support it (Azure Data Lake, Azure Databricks, Azure Synapse Analytics).
- Enthusiastically learning new things to help us go faster and stay lean – we’ll support your ongoing learning with access to online training, books and so on.
- Establishing the Data Science team within the company, supporting junior data scientists and helping Ticker to keep building its data team.
- You’re passionate about data and aspire to building a world-class data function in a disruptive insurtech
- You’re entrepreneurial and fearless when it comes to decision-making
- You’ll have techniques and knowledge from a range of scientific and computer science disciplines (for example, statistics, analytics, machine learning and AI).
- You’ll have experience performing distributed and parallel processing on large datasets in a cloud environment using big data technologies, ideally using Apache Spark or Databricks with Python, Scala or R. We have a mix of data sources in our domain and you’ll be comfortable in picking the right tool for the job to get our data to where it needs to be.
- SQL – whether that’s against Microsoft SQL Server or Postgres, you can handcraft SQL queries with the best of them and understand how to optimise the underlying logical layers for improved performance as needed.
- You’ll be well versed in noSQL data stores and unstructured data (from DynamoDB to JSON and XML data held in S3).
- You’ll have experience analysing and visualising geospatial data alongside other telematics data.
- You’ll have awareness of the use of these platforms to support streaming analytics, in addition to batch processing and working alongside the development team to consider the use of streaming data sources within the data platform.
- You’ll have knowledge of automation and supporting the integration of the data platform within our CI/CD platform.
- You’ll be motivated and self-directed – you’ll have the drive to move our data platform forward strategically, while still meeting daily requirements and tactical needs. It’s a fast-paced environment, and you’ll be responsible for taking your ideas through to production. We build it, we run it.
- You’ll have an inquiring mind that needs to prove the accuracy of the numbers you’re presenting. You’ll be building confidence every day that the analysis of our data can be trusted, by both our stakeholders and customers.
- You’ll help to grow data science skills in other teams, understanding the variety of functional roles relating to data science and how they can be most effectively applied to solve business problems.
- Six-figure salary
- Bonus scheme (based on company and personal performance)
- Share options
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days’ holiday plus your birthday off
- Enthusiastic investment in your development and ideas
Where we are:
Our office is in a rural location in Godalming (with direct links to London from nearby Guildford) but the business is remote-first. Location is not an issue as long as you’d be happy to come into the office to see the team semi-regularly.
If you’d like to talk about this role, please contact us at [email protected].
Go to all Ticker jobs