Who we are:
Ticker is an insurtech taking connected motor insurance to a much wider market, using the latest telematics technology and pricing methods. The executive team are insurtech experts, with a first-class track record in the industry.
What the role is:
We’re looking for an experienced Data Engineer to help us build our data analytics platform. You’ll be working in a modern, cloud-native environment, working on the delivery of data analytics, with a particular focus on building the data pipelines and managed data platforms on both AWS and Azure.
We use the best cloud-native, serverless technologies to help us focus on delivering features and value, rather than infrastructure. Our tech will both delight our customers and not be noticed if we’re doing our job right. You’ll be an essential part of putting data at people’s fingertips fast. It’s a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment, but you’ll be up for the challenge and happy to be taking the lead.
What you’ll be doing with your days:
- Designing, building and shipping the data pipelines and processing capabilities to establish a modern data lake as the foundation for our company’s demanding data science and management information (MI) requirements
- Working within our MI team, alongside our Development team and Business Analysts, to ensure that accurate and timely use of data continues to be at the heart of our company
- Support and empower the use of our operational databases – you’ll help ensure our business always has answers at their fingertips
- Designing, modeling and developing across our data stack to ensure the quality of our ETL processes, automated reporting and self-service analytics
- Developing an in-depth understanding of the data within the organisation, and ensuring accurate use and interpretation across the business consistently
- Performance tuning and optimisation: we LOVE getting the best bang for our buck, developing the most efficient configuration of our data platforms through automation and proactive monitoring
- Embracing the right tools for the job
- Being enthusiastic about learning new things to help us go faster and stay lean – we’ll support your ongoing learning with access to online training, books and so on
- Building data pipelines and cloud-based ETL solutions on top of big data technologies, ideally using Spark with Python or Scala. We have a mix of data sources in our domain and you’ll be comfortable in picking the right tool for the job to get our data to where it needs to be. Ideally, exposure to running data workloads on AWS or Azure, but ETL patterns and practices will be applicable to how you keep your data marts up to date.
- Knowledge of Azure Data Platform including Azure Data Lake, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Databricks and AWS Data platform (DynamoDB, S3, Redshift, RDS).
- SQL – whether that’s against Microsoft SQL Server or Postgres, you can handcraft SQL queries with the best of them and understand how to optimise the underlying logical layers for improved performance as needed.
- Motivated and self-directed – you’ll have a drive to move our data platform forward strategically, while still meeting daily requirements and tactical needs. it’s a fast-paced environment, and you’ll be responsible for taking your ideas through to production. We build it, we run it.
- Passion for automation – you’ll make robots for the mundane tasks so you can focus on using your time in the future for delivering even more value. You will have experience working in a DevOps culture and willing to drive it, contributing to CI/CD platform.
- An inquiring mind that needs to prove the accuracy of the numbers you’re presenting. You’ll be building confidence every day that the analysis of our data can be trusted, by both our stakeholders and customers.
- Streaming analytics and low latency reporting – event-driven analytics. We’ve got terabytes of telematics and operational quote data to be analysed with low latency.
- DBA experience – index tuning and optimisation – our databases are managed in the cloud but using them efficiently and keeping an eye on utilisation is key.
- Generous salary
- Bonus scheme (based on company and personal performance)
- Private medical insurance
- 25 days’ holiday plus your birthday off
- Enthusiastic investment in your development and ideas
- Free parking when in the office
- Flexible home working
Where we are:
Our office is in a rural location in Godalming (with direct links to London from nearby Guildford) but the business is remote-first. Location is not an issue as long as you’d be happy to come into the office to see the team semi-regularly.
If you’d like to talk about this role, please contact us at [email protected].
Go to all Ticker jobs